Preparatory Course for Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) Examination
The Preparatory Course For Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) Examination is designed to meet the following aims:
- To provide an educational foundation and experience based on the aims and assessment objectives of the respective Cambridge GCE O-Level subject.
The Preparatory Course For Singapore-Cambridge GCE (Ordinary Level) Examination comprises of six subjects following the syllabi stipulated by the examination authorities (Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate or Ministry of Education, Singapore). The six subjects are determined by the college from the following:
- English Language
- Additional Mathematics
- Literature in Chinese
- Principles of Accounts
- Computer Studies
- Science (Physics, Chemistry)
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Familiarize with the Cambridge GCE O-Level curriculum and assessment objectives of the subjects covered in this course.
- Understand and acquire the knowledge and skills stipulated in the assessment objectives of the respective Cambridge GCE O-Level subject covered in this course.
- Sit for Cambridge GCE O-Level examination as a private candidate.
Local students who have attempted Cambridge GCE O-Level examination previously or are holding GCE ‘N’ Level results. Local students with the minimum age of 15 years.
We are required to seek and obtain the approval of the Student Placement Services Division (SPSD), MOE, prior to admitting SCs into this course.
Foreign students with qualifications equivalent to the Secondary 3 academic standard may be admitted on the condition that they are proficient in English. Students lacking proficiency in English will be required to take up English lessons.
The Preparatory Course For Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) Examination program takes total of 960 hours in course work, excluding self-study and revision time.
- Total Duration : 1 year
- Total Course Hours : 960
- Weekly Time Tabled Hours (Teaching) : 16
- Weekly Time Tabled hours for English, group & social activities : 14
Students who sit for the external Cambridge GCE O-Level examination as private candidates and successfully satisfy all requirements of related GCE O-level subjects will be awarded the prestigious Cambridge GCE O-Level certificate.
Beacon maintains a maximum teacher-student ratio as follows:
Tutorial – 1:40
Lecture – 1:72
The course is mainly conducted in the classroom via face-to-face learning which encourages student-teacher interaction. Students are encouraged to attend field trips and bazaars organised by the school to encourage experiential learning.
The course is assessed at the preliminary stage through various in-house tests which will prepare them for the final Cambridge GCE O-level Examinations.
In October, the students will sit as private candidates for the Cambridge GCE O-level examinations which are assessed by the examination authorities (Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate or Ministry of Education, Singapore).